Thursday, August 27, 2009

Jonas Brothers Concert!





Last night Ben and I took Maria and her good friend Lily to the Jonas Brothers concert at Nationwide Arena. We had gotten Maria the tickets for her birthday in May. I ordered four tickets, in case Sam wanted to go, but he didn't want to at all, so Maria was able to take a friend which ended up being much more fun for her.

Maria doesn't tend to like every tween band that comes along. In fact, she dislikes Hannah Montana (Miley Cyrus, whatever) a lot and is resentful when people assume she should be a fan just because she's a young girl. But she likes the Jonas Brothers. And truthfully, they are pretty cute - I would have liked them at her age. So surprising her with tickets was awesome. But it has been along wait for the concert date to get here. And on a school night was not the best timing, but we made it work. Ben was even flexible by ending band early (of course we are still a month away from the first contest!)

The girls had a blast. They were a little bored with the 2 opening acts - the concert started at 7:00 but the Jonas Brothers did not get on stage until 8:20. And the screaming, my god, the screaming. Unbelievable. Some kids at school had warned Ben the screaming would be bad and so he had ear plugs to wear. I did not, but I survived. Once the Jonas Brothers came on stage the music mostly drowned out the screaming, but between opening acts and the main act the teens and tween screaming was just insane. Maria and Lily had their hands over their ears!

Both girls really enjoyed themselves. It was the first concert for each of them, and I think they were in awe of the size of the crowd, and all of the stage tricks and laser lights. There was only one song they didn't know. And Ben and I actually enjoyed the it too - once the Jonas Brothers got on stage it was a pretty cool show. And several times Maria would lean over and thank us for bringing them and say, "This is the best birthday present ever."

We got home at 11:00, and Lily's Dad was here to pick up Lily and sister Paige (who had babysat Sam for us). Maria got in bed by about 11:15, Ben and I at midnight. We were all exhausted this morning - the first week of school is so busy and such a shock to begin with, let alone having the concert on the first day of school. But it was so worth it - Maria will probably remember it forever.

*The pictures were taken with Ben's Blackberry - which did a really decent job for being a phone, but not quite as zoomed in as it would have been with a camera. And there is a great picture of Maria and Lily in their seats, but it's still on Ben's phone and I can't add it until he returns tonight.

No comments: