

Sam started second grade today, Maria started sixth grade.
Sam had a pretty easy beginning, although he has given me extremely limited information about his day. He seemed in a good mood after school, so I'll take that as a good sign. Here's the information I got from my interrogation. His favorite part of the day was recess. He likes his teacher. It's fun to be in the same class as Gage. They all read their "Mad-Libs" summer assignment, many of which were funny. And a whole lot of "I don't knows."
Maria had a good day too. Although last night at dinner, she had a fever of 102 degrees and we were very worried she would have to miss her first day of middle school! She just had some kind of bug that was very short lived - finally admitted to us that she had been feeling bad during most of her time at Easton with Grandma and Grandpa K., and had even fallen asleep on the way home - which should have been a red flag to me since that never happens - not even on 10 hour car rides. I think she was going to hide it as long as she could, because she did not want to miss her first day of school. But we gave her Advil last night, and that made her feel good enough to eat her dinner heated up at 8:00 last night. At 6:30 this morning she had no fever, so she went to school. And she has been fine all day. Plus, she's in our building now, so I knew if she started feeling bad she could always come to one of us.
Anyway, 6th grade is very different because the kids move around for eight different periods, and they are with a different mixture of kids for each period. There was some moving around in the 4th and 5th grades, but the classes stayed intact. I didn't get a huge amount of information from her either, but it seems like she did OK. She has math last period - and for some reason that class in an hour and ten minutes long, so that doesn't make her very happy. But she also has one teacher for science, social studies, and study center, and she really likes her. Lily, one of her best friends, is not in any of her classes, but she gets to see her at lunch. Recess was also her favorite part of the day.
Ben and I both had a fairly easy start, but it can be hard to tell on the first day how your classes are really going to be. We'll be in a honeymoon period for these first few weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment