Monday, January 31, 2011

Braces Bullies

Today was Maria's consultation appointment with the orthodontist to see what should be done about her missing molar.  I had called two weeks ago, talked to a receptionist for 15 minutes, who took down all my information and set up the appointment for 11:00 today, which I wrote down.  Then the office called me the next day needing more of our insurance information, which I gave them.  So it was a little shocking when we got there today and they had no record at all of our appointment.  They still took us, but labeled us "Walk-ins" which irritated me.  I mean, who did I give all that informtaion to on the phone two weeks ago?

We got in after only a 45 minute wait (but what could we expect, being walk-ins and all), and they immediately took pictures of every possible angle of Maria's mouth.  These will serve as her "before" pictures.  Except, why do we need "before" pictures before any Dr. has actually looked in her mouth or her x-ray?  All of this for one missing tooth, that hasn't even been looked at?  The entire atmosphere of the office is a foregone conclusion that you are walking out of there with braces.  When we filled out our information, there's a part where Maria writes in friends she has who also got their braces at that office (she is as defiant as me sometimes, and just put an "X" through the entire box - I'm so proud).  Then the "treatment specialist," who was very friendly - although there wasn't much competition given the welcome we received when we got there - took down some general information from us before the orthodontist came in.  That's when I broached the subject of braces having never been mentioned to us by our regular dentist, and wondered why everyone there was acting like it was a done deal.  All we have is a missing tooth.  And as expected, she danced around the question and said there were many things they could do.

Then she left and came back a few minutes later with the orthodontist.  While she was gone, Maria and I discussed any questions we needed to make sure we asked, and that I wouldn't just agree to braces without lots of information, and that we would need to discuss everything with Dad at home too.  This is a child who has been certain for years that even though everyone she knows (and I'm not sure that's an exageration) has had an experience with braces, she would be spared.  And all of a sudden they're pushing braces on us, and she was scared and unhappy.  The orthodontist reminded both of us of a less goofy Jim Carrey - tall, great smile (of course), very friendly, and a way of flipping his hair that reminded us of a Jim Carrey character.  Anyway, he looked at Maria's teeth and x-ray, and showed me a few things I was unaware of - mainly that Maria's front top teeth are worn down from something - possibly from grinding her teeth at night.  Although I've never heard her do this, I was always a grinder so she may be as well.  He also showed me the tooth in question, and explained why it needs to come out soon, before the gum grows up over it.

So we are seeing on oral surgeon in two weeks for a consult there, and then we will make an appointment for them to pull the tooth.  After that, the orthodonsist will give us a clear plastic retainer she'll wear at night to "manage the space" where the tooth was.  A side benefit of the retainer is that after a few weeks, if its scratched up, we'll know that she does grind her teeth and that will explain the wearing problem.  We'll "manage the space" until the rest of her molars come in.  The matching tooth on her other side of the problem tooth looks like it may not be fully developed, so they have to wait and see if that one will come in or not.  But he said that eventually, she'll need braces, no doubt.  So I asked if just on the bottom or on the top too, and he said both to deal with "bite issues."  I guess I'm wondering why they can't eventually put an implant there for the tooth rather than give her braces, but he said it was too early to know exactly what will be needed, other than the braces - that he's sure about. 

Don't get me wrong, if she needs braces, then we absolutely want her to have them.  But let's face it - that's how an orthodontist makes his money.  And the fact that the braces were their answer before anyone even looked in her mouth makes me uncomfortable.  Later, when Maria and I were talking about it, I asked her about her friends, and she could not think of one person in her class that she hangs out with that has not either already had braces, will be getting braces, or has braces now.  So does every single kid need braces now?  I doubt it.

So we are going to get the tooth pulled and go from there.  If we start to feel real pressure, I supposed we'll get a second opinion, although I would assume all orthodontists will tell you that you definitely need braces.  Right now Maria is really against it too, but will she look back when she's 25 and wish she had perfect teeth, instead of the not-quite-perfect teeth she'll have without braces?  Where is that line between really needing them and just perfecting her smile?  Because it seems like a lot of hassle, pain, and money if she doesn't really need them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When my oldest was 5, I took him to pediatric dentist for his kindergarten appt. She totally rubbed me the wrong way when she brought up an orthodontic consultation. I asked how she could tell that he'd need braces since he was just 5. Her response? "Oh, just about every child will require SOME sort of orthodontic treatment!" I figured she was getting some sort of kickback from her orthodontia referrals!