We're home on a snow day today (Number 7 if you're keeping count) so I have a few free minutes to give an update of happenings in the Keller house.
Even though today was a snow day, we had to get up at 7:00 because Sam was on the radio! A Columbus station recorded Sam's class reciting the Pledge of Allegiance (I'm guessing they do this for all schools in the area) and Sam was chosen to introduce the class. So at 7:27 a.m. we heard him say, "Hi. My name is Sam and this is Mrs. Galsterer's class." It was really cool, and he was quite pleased with himself. I just wish we had been able to record it somehow.
Maria had her tooth pulled yesterday. It went quick, and she did fine. Seemed a little out of it for a few hours after - could have been the laughing gas wearing off and she also told me it just felt too funny to talk much. She was eating normal by dinnertime and never took any pain medication, although her cheek is fairly swollen today. Probably lucky for her that her middle school dance got moved to next week because of the weather. She has to have an impression taken for the retainer next week, and then gets the retainer the following week. She only has to wear it overnight. Then will see what the braces plan is. We're still mulling over the possibility of getting a second opinion.
Maria won a raffle for her magazine fundraiser, and the prize was a 5 pound chocolate candy bar. It's huge. Every day I break off a small piece to pack in her lunch for dessert, and at this pace she won't finish it until the end of the school year! It was surprising she won since each child's name got put in the drawing once for every 5 magazines they sold, and she only sold 6 magazines., so her name was only in the drawing once. I'm guessing the high sellers were a little unhappy about that.
Ben continues to train for his marathon. He is running about 50 miles a week (usually 5 days), and follows a fairly strict training program. The Flying Pig is on April 30, so he still has a little while to go. Both Andy S. and Andy P. and training for the same marathon, so he has had some company, at least.
We've both been tracking what we eat and our calories on Livestrong.com since the beginning of the year. My goal was to lose 11 pounds by the time we take the Disney Cruise - March 27. Ben's goal was to lose a few pounds (holiday weight mainly) and just be healthier so he could run well. I've lost 9 pounds so far, but have seemed to hit a plateau the last few weeks. So I'm trying to add a few more miles on the treadmill per week to help. Right now I run 5 days and week, go to Zumba one day a week, and take Saturdays off. I make myself run on Zumba days if class has been cancelled because of the weather. I do feel so much better - my pants are not tight at all. I just am trying to go slowly so I can maintain my weight. Ben hit his target weight (lost seven pounds) and went a little below, so he's done trying to lose.
Teaching has been rough lately. All of the craziness at the state level is depressing, and scary, and on our minds all of the time. We hope to survive the extreme budget cuts we see coming, but have discussed things I never though we would need to - like the possibility of getting summer jobs, refinancing the mortgage, other career choices, etc. We both enjoy what we're doing and would like to keep doing it, but we are just not certain what may happen. As I said, it's scary and depressing.
That's about it here - we are all starting to get excited about the cruise and getting out of this winter weather - only 30 more days!
No comments:
Post a Comment