Yesterday I ran my first 4 mile race. I've done several 5K races now, but wanted to try something else, and wasn't thrilled about doing a 10K just yet. Ben and the Smiths ran in a 4-miler on Thanksgiving day, but I wasn't willing to give up preparing the Thanksgiving meal with Maria that morning in order to run. So this was my next chance.
I have been running on the treadmill 5-6 times per week since the new year (although I am more motivated to lose weight than to improve my pace). Most runs are around 3 miles, but on Sunday mornings (when I have more time) I usually go 4 or 5 miles. I was unsure of my actual pace since neither the treadmill nor the Nike+ is extremely accurate. I had planned to run outside at least once before the race and use Ben's Garmin to give me an accurate pace, but the weather was horrible, and then once it got a little better, I had to stay home to wait for people to come work on the basement most days in the last two weeks. But even though I was uncertain of my actual pace, my goal was to beat 40 minutes (which is a pace of 10 min/mile). Not very fast for real runner, but it would be my personal best in any race.
The weather was 55 degrees for this 6:00 p.m. race, but very windy - 30 mph according to the weather service. But still pretty good racing weather given that it's the middle of March. We made it an evening and went with the Smiths, who both ran as well. Lisa and I started off just behind the 10 min/mile pacer balloons, but I felt so good that I passed the pacers in the first half mile. Lisa, who is still getting over a sinus infection, did not run her fastest race and so we didn't stick together for long. The majority of the race was on the cart paths of the golf course at the Kinsale Country Club (in Powell), and when we were on the course there was hardly any wind (which did make things a little hotter since I had dressed for the wind). I've never run in a race with this may people before (1000 were registered), and so running on the cart paths made things a little bit crowded. I think there were times in the last mile where I would have walked, except then I would have been in other people's way, so I kept running (sometimes peer pressure is good). I definitely have never felt this beat at the end of a race. In the third mile the pacer balloon passed me, but I kept it in my sights and did not let up. When we could see the finish line, Andy Smith was there to cheer me on (Ben was waiting to take pictures at the finish line), and I was able to pass the pacers by several strides before crossing the finish line. I felt awful, and really thought I would throw up during that last half mile. I gave it everything I had, and was so disappointed when I crossed the finish line and it said 40'13", meaning I did not meet my goal. My Nike+ quit on me after 1.77 miles (typical). It wasn't until several minutes later that Ben reminded me that the clock starts as the first racers cross the start line, and Lisa and I were in the middle of the pack, and probably didn't cross until at least 30 seconds into the race. Which meant that I most likely achieved my goal, but I wasn't certain until final results were posted on their website last night. I finished in 39'24", an average pace of 9'51" per mile, which was well under my goal. I came in 226th out of 475 women.
Ben had a good race but was purposely taking it easy since he has 20 miles to run today as part of his marathon training (he finished in 28"09"). Andy had a personal best at 27'49", and Lisa had a tougher race between her cold and not having run much in the last few months, but she finished. After the race, there was a tent party at the golf course, featuring The Menus, and band we have heard of but have never heard before. The four of us went to restaurant for dinner (instead of eating "Irish" concession stand food at the race), and then went back to hear the band - and the hype was true - they were pretty awesome. We left at 9:30 and got home by 10:00, where both kids were asleep on the couches (Paige was here but they begged to stay up until we got home).
All in all, a great night and I am so thrilled that I had my most successful race to date.
Now, I can focus entirely on the cruise. I've quickly gone from "I can't believe we leave in less than two weeks," to "We leave in less than two weeks and I have so much to do!"
No comments:
Post a Comment