Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Stubborn Sick Child

Maria is home sick today. I suspect she's been sick for at least two days, but wouldn't admit it.

Sunday, I picked the kids up at the halfway point after they spent the night at Rita and Darrell's. When we got home, Maria just wasn't very active, and ended up laying on the couch (which hardly ever happens) watching T.V. Even though it was nice outside and Sam was out there riding his bike. She told me that they went hiking and to the Air Force Museum earlier that day with Grandma and Grandpa, and the shoes she chose to wear were too small, causing pain in her foot and calf. She said it was getting better, though. So I threw those shoes away, so she doesn't try to wear them again, and finished cooking dinner.

When she sat down to eat, she was in extreme pain, had tears in her eyes, and readily agreed to take Motrin. Once that sunk in, she acted much better, and was excited to loose a tooth right before bed that night.

Monday morning, when I got her up she mentioned that she wished she could sleep all day. Odd for her, a morning person, but who doesn't feel that way when they get up on Monday? And she said her leg felt better. So we were good to go.

After school Monday, Maria looked awful. I questioned her about something happening at school to make her so grouchy? Her nose looked like it had been running. No, she said, just tired and has a cold.

When we got home, she went directly to the couch and laid down without taking off her coat. I can't tell you how odd that is for her - she only lays down to sleep, never after school! So then I felt her forehead, which was burning up. Fever of 101. We gave her Motrin, and later she ate some dinner, but never acted quite like herself. Since cold symptoms were only minor, we decided against calling the Dr.

This morning Ben went to feel her forehead at 6:00 so we would know if someone had to call in sick. She was awake, told Ben she felt fine. Her cheeks were flushed though, and the thermometer read 102.7. So not fine. Ben stayed home (I had my once a year evaluation with the principal today) and took her to the Dr., who said it's just a virus - no strep throat, no ear infection, etc. Which means it could go on for days. Ben says she's still feverish and sluggish now (3:00 Tuesday).

I e-mailed her teacher to tell him she would be absent, and he replied that he thought she might be sick yesterday. James, the son of our principal who is also in her class, told me this morning that "We all knew she was sick yesterday." So I feel like a horrible parent, but I was only going on what Maria was telling me. I didn't mean to send a sick child to school. And I know she was not that warm in the morning since I helped with her hair and would have noticed if her face was that hot.

She really didn't want to miss today because they were going to get their recorders in Music class. So I am walking over there after school to pick hers up, although I don't think she'll feel like playing it, but I am probably wrong again!

No comments: