Several weeks ago Sam asked me if I would go on the trip with him, since Ben went on his trip last year. Parents had to drive themselves - there was no room on the bus - and we didn't have to be at the theatre until 9:45. That gave Dolly and I time to stop at Panera bread and have coffee and bagels, and it was so nice to have some just adult time! Sam wasn't too excited about the movie, mainly because the concession stand would be closed, and I think the large bag of Skittles is his main motivation to go to any movie. But the boys sat still and watched, although I did wonder if Sam might drift off a couple of times. (I, miraculously, stayed awake, although it was touch and go for a while there.) Anyway, the movie was very well done - its hard to remember that they took the footage and then told the story - the story flows so well its almost like they told the wild animals how to act. It really reminded me of The Lion King - good lions, evil hyenas, and fighting to be the King of the Pride. Afterward I asked Sam what he thought. His answer: "It was sad. A lot of animals died." Which is true - there was a lot of chasing and hunting, but I did think they were good about leaving out any gore with all the killing. They did have to show animals eating other animals, though, and I guess that bothered my sensitive son.
All in all, a typical field trip experience for me. Felt good about spending time with Sam, but wished it had been about an hour shorter.
No comments:
Post a Comment