Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Lost Tooth!


This afternoon Sam lost his first tooth. He was playing the basement, when I heard him coming up the stairs saying, "Maria, you have GOT to see this." I was the first person he ran into so he settled to show me the bloody hole in his mouth and the tooth that he was holding. Even though we had to clean up some of the blood, he was too excited to complain about any pain.

The mystery is, how did it come out? I didn't think it was that loose, and I check pretty regularly. He was by himself in the basement so no one saw it happen. Maria suggested to him the idea that he fell on his face and it just popped out, so that is his story. Even though we heard no fall, and there is no evidence of any other injuries which may occur when you fall hard enough on your face to jar a tooth out of your mouth. And he is awfully excited about signing the "Tooth Chart" when he gets to school tomorrow. The other weird thing is that the hole in his mouth has no evidence of the new tooth coming in yet. So I wonder if he just decided it was time and pulled it, or wiggled it so much that it had to come out. But he's sticking with the falling on his face story and who knows, maybe that's what really happened.

Maria is now very motivated to get her loose tooth out too. She's been working it a lot since he lost his this afternoon. Maybe the Tooth Fairy can make one stop for two teeth tonight.

UPDATE: OK, maybe his story is true. Saw a mark on his chin in the bathtub last night that he could have easily gotten by falling from one couch to the next - now I'm glad he didn't knock any other teeth out!

And he was so cute this morning when he saw the dollar the tooth fairy left for him. Even though he looked twice in the box since he was expecting 7 or 8 dollars, which is what he told Ben he thought the fairy would leave him last night.

No comments: