Today is Sam's birthday party - on Monday he turns 6 years old. We are having a party at Pump it Up with 20 kids - both friends and family. I am looking forward to all the celebration, and Sam is so cute when he talks about it. This morning he's still sleeping, and once he gets up it will be a whirlwind of soccer game and party preparations. So I thought I'd take a couple of minutes to reflect while its still quiet.
I have mixed feelings about Sam turning six. Five years old is a favorite age of mine - with both of my children. They are still cute and cuddly and little kid-ish. But as they try to figure out the world, they make the funniest comments. Five-year-olds also still believe their parents know everything. And even though I know its untrue, its a great feeling that one person in the world believes you are the expert at all things. And I know from experience, this phase is just about over. Sam started kindergarten a month ago, and soon he will be certain he knows it all (a phase that I think will last until he's about 20). And he won't want to hug me in public anymore and tell me he loves me. And soon he won't need me to read him books either.
For me, the turning point seems to be when they lose those front teeth. All of a sudden, they don't look like your baby anymore - they have these huge teeth in a still smallish mouth. And then they don't act like your baby anymore either. I think I'm most sad this time because Sam is my youngest, and I'll never have another 5-year-old in the house again.
And the clock is ticking, because not only is he turning 6, but he has a loose tooth too.
No comments:
Post a Comment