Tomorrow the kids have "Sports Shirt/Career" Day. Meaning the children can dress up like a career or wear a sports shirt. They have a special dress-up day the last Friday of each month.
I've had it on the calendar all month. I knew it was coming up, but I figured it was a no-brainer. Maria has an Indians shirt and Sam has a Buckeye shirt and an Indians shirt to choose from. Easy.
Not. On the drive home from school, I asked them what they planned on wearing so I could have it ready (in case something needed washed). Boy was I in for a surprise. A summary of the conversation went like this: Maria would like to go dressed up as a painter. She would like to paint all over her cooking apron so she can wear it and look like a professional painter. Sam "is going to be a Rock Star!" He is going to need a "shirt with skulls all over it or something."
What?!
Can't we just wear sports shirts and call it done?
So when Sam and Ben left for soccer, Maria asked if we could go to Wal-Mart and buy a cheap apron that we can paint all over for tomorrow. Years ago she had a painting smock but can't find it anywhere. After lots of looking and debating, we finally came up with an idea- I would make my signature piece - a pillowcase turned into an apron. So I got the sewing machine out and used an old white pillowcase to make into a poorly but workable constructed painter's apron, which she then painted all over.
Then I was worried that if whatever Sam decided to dress up as was as much work, it would take us late into the evening by the time he got home from soccer. So I called Ben and asked that he start this conversation on the way home from soccer so that we could move things along when they got home. Sam decided since his friend was going as a football player, he could go as a professional soccer player. So he'll wear last year's soccer shirt, shorts, soccer socks and cleats. Done!
Of course, we haven't done the letter bag yet. We have to be creative with the letter Z. Sam wants "Zombie." Could be interesting.
1 comment:
We settled on "Zamboni". Yeah, it had to be a picture since we don't have any mini-zambonis around the house that will fit in the letter bag, but I though it was a pretty decent thing for Z :-)
Post a Comment