Sunday, October 4, 2009

Fairbanks Marching Band Goes to State Contest

For the first time. Ever. And it only took Ben 16 years to get them there. Seriously, though, it is so much harder on small bands. With only 43 kids on the field, individual mistakes are so much easier to spot, and getting a big sound is tough too - impossible to compete with the bigger bands.

This year, after band camp, Ben even thought it might be a rough year - more of a rebuilding year. He finally got rid of the flag corp, having decided in the last few years that a bad flag corp was worse than no flag corp. And those girls (and their advisor) have always proved to be way more trouble than they're worth. So finally this year he just didn't have very many interested girls and it was fairly easy to kill.

The kids love the show this year, too. It's based on Tim Burton's "Nightmare Before Christmas," and to get those general effect points that they won't get from an absent flag corp, the entire band wears face make-up and black shirts/pants to look like Jack Skellington. And the drums actually twirl flags during part of a song where there are no percussion parts. Also new this year, an assistant director that is a music teacher - our new elementary music teacher, who marched in the University of Dayton band.

Yesterday was the first time I've seen the show fully completed. And other than a rough beginning, I thought it was the best show I've ever seen them do. I told Ben that on the phone that afternoon - that maybe this would be the year they go to state. And he was down-playing it, but of course he didn't see the show from the stands like we did. The kids and I were so thrilled when he messaged us that they had, in fact, received their first "I" ever.

I've included a link to a video of the show:

FMB Contest Show 10/3/09 from Fairbanks Band on Vimeo.

No comments: