
Today the first grade had their annual Gingerbread party. They spend three weeks working on a Gingerbread unit, and then invite parents for a program and craft this afternoon to end the unit. Luckily, it started at 1:45, and my plan period is 2:05 until the end of the day, so I was able to get another teacher to cover me for 20 minutes and be at the party with Sam from the beginning. They started by showing a video of the different classes doing different Gingerbread activities throughout the unit, which was actually difficult to pay attention too, even for me. Live entertainment would have been much better, but would have taken much longer to prepare, so I understand why they did it this way.
After the video the parents were supposed to help their child put their Gingerbread house together - it's a foam set so that makes it a little easier. And it was interesting to watch Sam, because he is all business. He wants to make certain he is doing the house exactly as the directions show, and he is very focused on accomplishing this task. If he is always like this at school, I can see why his teacher commented a while back that he is so serious she can't tell if he likes school or not.
But we had fun, and the Gingerbread house looks awesome. I just hope the glue stick holds well enough so I can keep it for a long time.
No comments:
Post a Comment