Friday, June 4, 2010

1st Grade Field Trip to the Zoo



I had the pleasure of joining Sam on the first grade field trip to the Columbus Zoo on Wednesday.  Every thing about the day made it feel like Friday.  I got in a traffic jam on the way to the zoo and thought I was going to be late, but I still bet the buses there by almost 15 minutes.

We had a small group, as it was only Sam, Dominick, and myself.  I let the boys go where they wanted and they saw almost everything they wanted to see.  The new bear exhibit was amazing.  There were black bears, brown bears, and even polar bears.  Most every animal at the zoo was napping except the polar bears.  They were playing away with 50-gallon plastic drums both on the land and in the water.  They put on quite a show.  We also saw the elephants and penguins before lunch too.  

It rained on us a just a bit as we finished our packed lunches, then we headed into the aquarium to see the fish and the manatees.  By the time we came back outside, the sun was shining again.  Most of the afternoon was dedicated to the monkeys, both African and Asian.  We had some dip-n-dots and took a ride on the carousel too.  All in all it was a fun trip and the boys were just great.  They drew pictures and answered questions on four of the animals they saw, and Sam chose the polar bears, bald eagle, flamingos, and manatees.  Sam rode home in the car with me and we got home well before the 3:00 end-of-school time, but we were both pretty tired.

No comments: