Today was the annual Fairbanks Elementary Talent show. Only second through fifth grades could audition, and even though they said that not all students auditioning would be allowed to perform, I can't imagine what an act that didn't make it would look like. I was only there for about the last 12 acts (out of 58!), and in some cases the talent was difficult to find.
Anyway, Maria had an idea inspired by Beatles Rock Band, and got three friends to go along with her. They performed "Paperback Writer," complete with cardboard instruments and custom-made T-shirts. And they spent a lot of time getting their costumes and props ready. After the day of the audition, Maria told me they made the show. I then asked the teacher in charge if Maria's group could be near the end so that I could rush over there and catch it when my plan period started at 2:05 (I am really going to miss having that last period free next year!). Heather told me that Maria's group was "soooo cute I'm saving them for last." And Maria was also one of the two students chosen to introduce each act during the show - all 58 of them.
As it turned out, Ben and I were both able to go over to see her perform - Ben got someone to cover a few minutes of his band class now that all of his performances are over. And they did a really good job - it was very entertaining and a great way to end the show. Next year I think Maria is going ot miss being top dog at the elementary school - it may be hard to start over at the middle school. And I can't believe she's going to be in 6th grade next year!
No comments:
Post a Comment