After:
Today Maria and I painted the barn. It hasn't been painted since it was built in the summer of 2002, and poor Ben was on his own because I was 7 months pregnant with Sam at the time. Painting is something that until several months ago has always been Ben's job - at least since he painted Maria's bedroom while I was pregnant with her. Before that, we used to paint together, but once the kids came along I always had to take care of them while Ben worked.
Then we painted the basement this winter, and Ben decided I wasn't as bad a painter as he remembered (I did enjoy not household painting jobs for 10 good years, though). So this spring, when I mentioned (numerous times) that the barn really needed painted, and that it would be a breeze compared to the basement, he replied that if I was so sure it needed to be painted maybe I should be the one to do it. So I agreed that I would. And then Maria piped up and said she wanted to help. And I'm not sure he really took us seriously.
But I decided it would be the first thing crossed off my summer to-do list, and so Ben went out and bought the paint for us this morning. And we got all of the rolling done before lunch. But then we had to take a several hour break because the radar looked like rain (in fact, was green over us for most of the afternoon although we only got a few drops). But we went back out mid-afternoon and finished all of the white trim, which was the most time-consuming part - especially on the doors on the front. Maria helped up until about the last hour - she did almost all the painting on the front and barn doors. If I hadn't had her help I would still be painting!
And Ben didn't paint, but he did buy us the supplies, and then took care of groceries and meal preparation and clean-up today so that we could paint with fewer interruptions. It was like some kind of opposite day where we each did the others' job, but as usual, we make a great team and got everything accomplished.
No comments:
Post a Comment