A week ago last Friday, right before Sam's birthday party, I realized that Sam's new coat, which he had worn to school that morning but not on the way home since it was too warm, was missing. Not a big deal - there have been several times when the kids have left their coats at school and retrieve them the next day - it's hard to remember to bring it home when it goes from 50 degrees in the morning to 80 degrees in the afternoon.
So I asked Dolly, his kindergarten teacher, at soccer on Saturday morning. No, she's sure its not in her room - she remebered it because she thought it was a cute coat.
Did I mention it was BRAND NEW? It was maybe the third time he had worn it. And it was from Gap - so not super cheap to replace.
Anyway, Dolly would keep an eye out for it. Then Monday morning I wrote a note to the Kinderpaws teachers. They haven't seen it. It's not in any of the Lost and Founds. The bus driver has never seen it. I e-mailed Dolly again a week later to see if anything had turned up. She hasn't seen it, but understands my frustration.
And I have been obsessing about this lost coat. First of all, I paid good money for it, I really liked it, and it was BRAND NEW. Second, Sam's only just started kindergarten. Aren't the adults with him all day supposed to help him keep track of his things? I know he's supposed to be learning to take care of himself, but he's only been in school for a month. And I know I shouldn't buy him a new coat. But I don't really think he's learning a lesson from this - he doesn't seem to care that much. He only has sweatshirts and winter weight coats that fit now, which means he won't wear anything because he gets too hot. It hasn't been an issue yet - its been too warm - but its going to be a problem soon.
So I can't decide what to do. But I really don't think I'm going to feel better about this until I get him a new coat, similar to the old coat. Then maybe I can forget about this.
UPDATE: OK, so we ordered Sam a new coat. But it's on sale now - $10 cheaper than when we bought it. And Sam picked out a different color.
2 comments:
So how old was this coat?
BTW. Let it go. Just.let.it.go.
Spencer lost a brand new Nike sweatshirt last year. Same kind of thing...He left it in gym class, forgot to bring it home, and the next day it was no where to be found. Ugh! I was so mad.
I spent the rest of the school year watching for another student to come out with that sweatshirt. Never found it, and question him often to make sure he doesn't leave anything behind. When he does, back to school we go!
Post a Comment