Today was Sam's final parent/teacher conference, where his teacher shared with me his end of year test results. Sam has had a great year, with reading, writing, and spelling above his grade level. His classroom behavior is good, and his daydreaming is getting better, although he still stays much more focused when placed near the teacher. I am concerned about whether this daydreaming habit will get worse when he starts first grade next year and goes to school all day, instead of just a half day. We'll just have to wait and see.
Anyway, Mrs. Wilson sent home a summer journal to work on, and told me Sam is capable of writing three sentences for each journal entry. I had already been wondering how I was going to keep him reading this summer without making it too much of a chore for both of us. Currently, we read together at bedtime each night, but unless he has a homework book, I do the majority of the reading. Adding journal writing to it is going to make even more homework for him. So on the drive home I decided to set up a sticker chart/calendar, and on each weekday Sam either has to read to an adult for 15 minutes or complete one journal entry to get a sticker. After so many stickers, he can get a reward of some kind. I ran my plan by Ben when I got home. Sam was in the other room, but drawing a picture and paying no attention to us. Or so I thought.
Tonight:
Sam: Tonight can I read my WALL-E book by myself?
Me: To me or to yourself?
Sam: I want to read it to you.
Me: Wow, that would be great. I would love that.
Sam: I want to read to you EVERY night.
By now I'm wondering if I'm dreaming - this is so unlike him.
Me: That would be so wonderful. I like it when you read to me.
Sam: Yeah, cause I want a new toy!
So I guess he heard my earlier conversation. Good news - he wants to read, at least for now. Bad news - I hate to bribe him to read, I would much rather he learn to love reading like I do, and like Maria does. I never had to bribe her, but Sam is totally different. But I also don't want him to forget everything he learned at school this year. So I guess we'll try the sticker chart and see how it goes.
No comments:
Post a Comment