Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sam's First Baseball Game


Tonight was Sam's first coach-pitch baseball game. I had to go alone since Ben and Maria had a band concert, and the game was in West Jefferson, a 40 minute drive away. But we made it without getting lost and the weather was beautiful.

The team won - I think it was 12-2 or so. We run-ruled them, but they went ahead and played the 6th inning "for fun," even though the other team couldn't win. Sam was up to bat four times. The first time, he waited for the perfect pitch, and after watching 5 pitches go by, the coaches warned him he only had 2 pitches left. Then he let the 6th pitch go by. So the coaches were a little clearer in their directions - told him he had to swing. Which he did, and missed and struck out.

The second time he was up, he got a hit and made it to first base without getting out. A series of other singles batted him in for a run.

The third time he was up, the same thing happened. Got a single, then eventually got batted in. All the kids on our team were hitting really well. It was incredible for the first game of the season, with so many kids who have never played coach-pitch before.

The last time Sam was up, he got a single that rolled into the grass. The outfielder missed the ball, so the coach was talking to Sam and Sam ran to second. But the runner on second never ran, so Sam was tagged out. I'm not sure if Sam misunderstood the first base coach or if the kid on second should have ran and didn't. But we were so far ahead at that point it wasn't a big deal.

Sam was in right outfield for most of the game, and didn't see any fielding action - no balls ever came that way.

He did have one big goof - where the third base coach was telling him to run to third when he got to second- running two bases on one hit was not done very often tonight - and Sam was paying no attention to him. So he stayed on second. Luckily he ended up scoring eventually anyway, but the third base coach was a little frustrated and talked with Sam when he got to third about paying attention. I'm sure that's a common mistake for first-timers in the league as well.

After the game I told Sam he did an awesome job and that I was proud of him. He said "Yeah, I made a few mistakes but I still had a really good game." So I'm hoping he learned something from those mistakes.

Another note - the coaching is very good. I witnessed praise being given when deserved, guidance being given when needed, and a true sense of the coaches caring about the kids. I was quite impressed.

No comments: