
Yesterday was Sam's last soccer game of the season. I had to miss it since there were still girls here from Maria's slumber party, but Ben was able to go. I was so happy he scored a goal, but I wish I'd been there to see it.
It hasn't been that great of a season for us. Sam just hasn't seemed that into it. We were a little disappointed in the coach, who was adequate I guess but didn't really teach them many skills or do much to foster a relationship between the boys on the team. I think he was just a Dad who got stuck doing it because no one else would. And the weather for the games has been mostly very crappy. Very cold and windy, or pouring rain. Only the last two have been decent days. So for some reason, Sam hasn't been as hungry for the ball as he has in last seasons. And as a result, hadn't scored a goal until yesterday.
When he got in the car to leave yesterday, he said "I have to get a goal today." And then he scored the first goal of the game. Was that all it took - making up his mind to do so? And if so, why have I been watching games in the worst weather ever if he wasn't putting in 100%? Guess we'll never know if his lack of scoring all season was by choice or circumstance, but I'm just glad he got one in yesterday.
No comments:
Post a Comment