Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Schedule Conflicts

Tonight should be an exciting one in our house because it's Maria's first band concert. After 17 years of Ben teaching and conducting, we finally have a child in a performing group that he spends so much time teaching. And after years and years of attending these concerts with little interest in the performers, I was looking forward to watching Maria perform. Plus 5th grade band is so darn cute to watch - they honk out "Old McDonald" and look as pleased with themselves as if they've just climbed Mt Everest. But it is a big accomplishment, considering eight months ago they couldn't even put their instrument together properly. And finally, it's an activity that one of my children is doing to which I can relate. I didn't have the opportunity to do many activities as a child, but band was a very big deal to me. So I was really looking forward to this first concert. Unfortunately, I won't be there to watch it.

Two weeks ago, when the baseball schedule for Sam's league came out, we realized that his very first baseball game is also tonight - same time as the concert, and at a field 40 minutes away. This is a big game for Sam - his first that is real baseball, not T-ball. And he's been looking forward to it. And I am excited to see him play as well. But I still feel bad about missing Maria's first concert.

Our options were few - we couldn't ask Sam to miss a game - especially his first game - to watch his sister play flute for 10 minutes. Plus, he's missing two games for our family vacation in two weeks. And Ben has to go to the concert, since he's the conductor and everything. So I came to grips with the fact that I was going to have to miss this first concert to take Sam to his baseball game (although I did hope for rain downpours and a game cancellation - doesn't look like there's any chance of that happening).

And I am looking forward to watching Sam play "big kid" baseball. He's still at an age where he checks to make sure we're watching him from the stands and it means so much to him to have us there. I just wish that the two things didn't have to be on the same night. Luckily, we have the best neighbors in the world, and they are going to come see Maria perform tonight - with Ben's parents on a trip and mine living three hours away, Maria wasn't going to have anyone who came to the concert especially to watch her (Ben doesn't count since he's the teacher). And I was able to leave my class with an aid yesterday and watch the "dress rehearsal," so I still got to see the band perform. Plus I will be able to take pictures and movies at the game so Ben doesn't miss any thing major there. Given the circumstances, the situation will really be the best it can be. I just wish we didn't have to make these choices.

No comments: