Thursday, July 22, 2010

4-H Clothing Interview and Skillathon




Maria has been preparing diligently for her skillathon this year. Winning first place two years ago (the last time she sewed) really motivated her to win again. She made flashcards, and stayed up late in her room studying many nights in the last two weeks. I went over everything with her last night, and she really knew her stuff. We were also pleased with her top, which Rita, Maria and I worked hard on and even sewed two tops when the first one we made showed a few errors. And Maria and I spent time last week completing the outfit, including shopping for accessories such as necklace, headband, and earrings.

And it looks like all this work has paid off. We won't have final results until the Style Review on Monday night, where the judges look everything over again. But as you can tell from the judging sheets we got this morning, I don't think it could have gone better. Maria is very relieved it's over, and is giddy with the satisfaction that she worked hard and did her very best. I'm very proud of her (and I'm glad it's over too!).

Another special thanks to Rita, whose sewing experience, even if it took place 40 years ago, was very valuable. Rita - notice the comments under "Construction" about the neat hem that had to be gathered - that was all your idea!

Click on any image above to enlarge.

No comments: