Sam's first season of coach-pitch baseball ended last night when his team lost their first tournament game. It was a season of ups and downs for Sam - some nights he had some good hits, some nights he did not. His usual fielding position was right field, where he didn't see a whole lot of action but did a fairly respectable job when the ball came his way. Coach-pitch baseball is a big jump from T-ball, and I think it takes a lot of experience for the boys to get the hang of it (not to mention attention span issues any time you get a group of 7 and 8 year old boys together). Our team was young, and fought hard for their 4-8 record. We ended up 11th seed out of 16, so we weren't the worst team out there. And overall I think it was a positive experience for Sam.
It was hard to figure out exactly how Sam felt about playing baseball. He never complained about going, and was usually excited to have a game, but he also was usually not interested in practicing in the yard with Ben either. After most games, when we would compliment him on some good things he did, he would often reply "Yeah, but I made some mistakes too." Which was true, and I'm hoping that meant that he was learning from those mistakes.
But after the loss last night, after we got into the van and began driving home, Sam said, "Can I play baseball again next year?" So I guess that answers my question - its more enthusiastic then he is about most of his activities.
No comments:
Post a Comment