Tuesday, July 6, 2010

"Tops for Tweens" Project Completion!


Maria decided she wanted to do a sewing project this year for 4-H again. She sewed her first year, then switched to a Photography project last year. Although she did well last year, she wanted to return to sewing this year and chose the "Tops for Tweens" project. So we picked a Saturday in June, and Maria and I traveled to Dayton so that Rita, Maria and I could put together her top. Rita has more experience than I do sewing, and it really helps to bounce ideas off each other too. The shirt that we put together that day had some problems. Some seemed minor, but one seemed almost unfixable - where we had an elastic casing that came apart in many places, but had nowhere to go since the material that was left was beginning to fray.

So we started talking about how much better we could do if we had a second chance. And then we realized that the fair wasn't until the last week of July, so we did have another chance. So Maria and I picked out more material (less that $10), and Rita came over yesterday to help.

And wow, did we do a great job. Maria was able to do so much by herself this time, and Rita and I made much better sense of the directions (I really can't believe how bad we messed up on the first one). This top looks great when Maria wears it (see pic above), and I even think the judges may have a hard time finding too many mistakes when they take a closer look. And it was a good, fun, learning experience for all of us. Maria still has three weeks to complete her project book and study for her Skillathon (which I'm sure she'll put off till the last minute), but the hard part of the project is done, and done successfully.

Thank you Rita!

No comments: