We just returned from Sam's parent/teacher conference, and it was our best one for him yet. Mrs. Dulle says his behavior has been "great," and said she feels as if she has a good relationship with him - that he is comfortable telling her things. When someone is bothering him, he tells her calmly instead of being very upset and frustrated like he was in the first half of the year. She notices him being able to control his behavior so much more now. And academically he is excelling as well. He's reading above where he is supposed to be when he enters second grade, and his math scores are very good too. My only concern was her recommendations on reading material that he would be interested in - I shared with her that I have real trouble finding anything that interests Sam when I read to him at night. She mentioned that they really spend a large part of their day reading, on top of reading homework, so he may just be sick of it by bedtime. Her suggestion was maybe a magazine or other type of "fun" reading might spark his interest more that another book - so I think I'm going to try that.
She also shared with us "how polite your daughter is." Apparently Maria came to her classroom to find Sam after school yesterday and used both "excuse me" and "thank you" during their short conversation, which really made an impression. (We skipped a parent/teacher conference with Maria's teachers since we really didn't see a need at her age and we know she is doing well, but managed to hear something positive about her anyway. Awesome.)
So another round of "Wow - we really have pretty great kids" is always a nice way to end the day!
No comments:
Post a Comment