Saturday, May 8, 2010

Lisa's First 5K Race




Today I ran in my first race ever. Most runners would consider a 5K (3.1 miles) a pretty easy run. But I am not an athlete. In fact, this is the first time in my life that I have ever trained for anything. I suppose you could call marching band physical activity, but the show always ended in 11-12 minutes, and you could at least stop for a few seconds between songs to catch your breath. And my participation in that activity ended more than 15 years ago.

It was after Maria completed her kids' triathlon in October that I decided I should run a race - after all, Ben had been doing it for several months at that point and loved it. And then on a snowy evening in January, Lisa S. and I made the promise that we would run a 5K together this spring. So I started training on the treadmill after that. But in the winter, my training consisted of treadmill work-outs where I tried to increase my speed, my distance, or both. Since April started, I try to do an outside run once a week, but missed at least one week due to weather and schedules. But training-wise, I was ready for this race.

Lisa and I both admitted that we were nervous last night (I had to stop over so we could have the girl and first-time-runner "What are you going to wear?" conversation). I didn't get to bed until 11:30, and then from about 4 a.m. I was awake most of the time. But I really think it was because the wind outside sounded like it might blow over the house, and I worried about running in that wind and cold. I'm a fair weather runner. I'm actually a fair weather everything kind of person.

So we loaded up the van (me, Ben, Andy, Lisa, and Andy's brother Matt) at 7:00 this morning and headed to the race. I think we were the first ones there. They hadn't even set up the finish line yet. But Ben and Andy like to get there early. They set off on a "mile warm-up run." Lisa and I sat in the warm car. Seriously, I wasn't sure I could do 3.1 miles so how could I possibly warm up for a mile? When they came back we all headed to the port-a-potties and then walked a little bit to get warmed up outside. We had on pants and hoodies - with the hood up. The thermometer said 49 degrees but it was very windy, and so very, very cold. The four of us agreed, though, that sitting at the soccer fields watching our children play would have been even colder, and that's where we would have been if the awesome grandparents hadn't helped out (Thanks Rita and Darrell!). At about 8:30 (race started at 9:00), we headed back to the van, put on our numbers, took off our warm clothes, took pictures and then headed toward the starting line. It was a cold wait for the race to begin. Ben staked out a place at the front of the starting line, Lisa and I picked a place more toward the middle of the pack (there were about 200 people there, we think - official results still have not posted).

When we started, Lisa and I kept together really well. But I started to have trouble breathing and never really got my lungs back to where I felt they should have been. So we were keeping a good pace, but I was huffing and puffing. Lisa was doing great. Soon after we passed the one mile marker, Ben passed us on the way back - the course headed down a path and then turned around at the halfway point to come back. He was in 2nd place at that time! The good news - in our long sleeved shirts and shorts we really weren't cold at all once we were running. Lisa and I made the turn - she still seemed fine, I was still panting. Shortly after we passed the 2nd mile marker I told Lisa to go ahead - that I was going to have to walk a little. My problem with walking is that when I try to run again my legs feel like lead weights. But I managed to start running again, and took one more short walk break later in that 2nd mile. I could still see Lisa, so I knew I didn't lose too much time, but I was disappointed because my goal was not to walk at all.

At the end of the race, Ben and Andy were there to cheer me on (Lisa had just finished and was getting water). Unfortunately, the strong winds had blown over and broke the large official time clock, so they handed us a numbered card at the finish line and a guy there told me my time, but I was so tired I didn't understand what he said - I wasn't paying attention. My Nike+ said that I ran it in 32'25", which is an unofficial time. I was still disappointed that I had to walk some. I think Lisa beat me by 40 seconds or so. Official results are still not posted yet this evening - I'll update the blog as soon as we get them. After we collected our gifts (Mother's Day run was definitely the way to go - we got free wrapping paper and note cards - very cool) and had our snacks, we headed back to the van. And then I checked my iPod, which told me my average time per mile was 9'51". So now I know why I was huffing and puffing - my previous best time was 10'13". My first mile was 9'21" - my fastest ever! Ben came in 4th - just missed getting a trophy. Matt, Andy's brother, beat him and came in third. Ben's unofficial time was 21'11" - his best time ever.

So I'm glad I did it, and will do it again - hopefully this summer. Now that Lisa and I know the ropes, we may be able to go together sometimes while the men stay back to take care of the kids. And I know it wasn't a long race, but for me, it was a real accomplishment and I'm really proud of myself!

UPDATE:
Official results: Ben 21'12" 4th place out of 221 racers total
Me: 32'37" 68th place out of 128 women
Lisa S.: 31"49 58 th place out of 128 women
Andy: 22'33" 15th out of 221 racers total

2 comments:

Doug said...

That's awesome, Lisa! I know exactly what you mean about not being able to get your lungs right after that first burst. I always want to dash out with the pack when the race gets started. The energy of the crowd practically demands it. But, I've found that if I take it a little easy for the first leg of the race, I'm a lot better off toward the end.

Then again, I finished somewhere around 9,000th for my race yesterday. Ben finished 4th! You should probably take your tips from him!

Good job. Next step, 10k! (I actually like the 10ks better because the pace tends to fit a distance run whereas a lot of folks treat the 5k like a sprint, which I can't do.)

Lisa said...

Thanks for the encouragement Doug. It certainly makes me feel better that experienced runners like you know how I felt yesterday! Haven't decided what my next race will be, although I think I'd feel more comfortable with one more 5K experience before I try a 10K.

Nice job on your half-marathon yesterday!