Wednesday, June 18, 2008

"Accidentally"

This afternoon the kids were outside playing with Mason and I was in the kitchen fixing an early dinner since Sam had a 6:00 game. While I was cooking, Sam came in the back door and explained to me that Mason had colored his hands blue, "but not with Sharpie." Then he asked if he could color his hands because he wanted to be like Mason. I told him no, he didn't need to color his hands. He tried "Please, Mommy" a few times, but when I reminded him that dinner would be soon and he shouldn't waste the last few minutes of play time with Mason, he left without further complaint. I was a little surprised he didn't put up more of a fight.

About 10 minutes later the kids came in. Sam's hands were colored red. Before I even had time to notice, Sam volunteered that Mason had "accidentally colored his hands."

Maria: No, Mason asked Sam -
Sam: Oh yeah. Mason asked me and I accidentally told him yes.
Me: You told Mason he could color your hands after I told you not to?

Pause

Sam: Can I go wash my hands?

Apparently at some point Sam has learned that the word "accidentally," used in any possible situation, is his get out of jail free card.

No comments: