Today Sam brought a Whoopee Cushion home with him from Grandma and Grandpa's house. Darrell bought it for him at an arcade while Sam was with them, and we knew Sam loved it since he insisted on showing it to us on ichat each night we talked to him.
This afternoon Maria and Sam were taking turns blowing it up and squeezing it (which apparently never gets old) while I was in the other room. All of a sudden I heard a tremendous POP and then both kids immediately burst into tears. I ran into the room, and Maria was crying saying, "I'm so sorry, Sam, I'm so sorry," and Sam was just crying. Both were inconsolable. And the Whoopee Cushion has a huge hole in it - it really looks like a perfectly drawn blow-out hole. And of course it happened about 2 minutes after Ben left for the football game.
I guess Maria stepped on it and it couldn't handle the pressure. So I told the kids we would look for a new one to replace it - the only thing I could think of to get the crying to stop. Maria didn't mean it, she didn't know you had to apply pressure slowly. And I never thought I needed to give Whoopee Cushion instructions. And Sam was traumatized after watching his prized possession die such a quick and violent death.
So we went to McDonald's for dinner (where we had the worst service ever - seriously, the only meal they got right was Sam's meal, but we got the Yoda bobble heads, so it turned out O.K.) and then went to Wal-Mart, where we needed to get some things anyway. We found a set of four small Whoopee Cushions, which self-inflate themselves. At first I thought Sam wouldn't be satisfied, but he sets them all on the floor and then plays them like drums and then giggles hysterically. So I guess all is fine now.
But it sure was stressful there for a while.
No comments:
Post a Comment