Monday, August 25, 2008

Sam's First Day of Kindergarten


Finally, today was Sam's first day of school (the three of us have been back for a week already). He had a little trouble sleeping last night, but that could be his earlier bedtime and not just nervousness about his first day. This morning both kids got on the bus at the high school as usual, and it took both to carry all of Sam's supplies (plus their lunches). Maria took him into his classroom before she went to hers, and the bus driver recruited her to take the other five kindergartners to the same room every day this week.

I was waiting for the kids when they got off the bus this afternoon (I love not having a class last period!). When asked, Sam said he liked school, had a good day, and the only piece of information he volunteered was that they had Gym and they played Freeze Dance. I've waited to blog until tonight because I thought he might have some other information at dinner. But the answer to all of our questions now are either "I don't know" or "I just can't remember."

He did complain about being tired a few times right after school. After I got the mail, I found him sitting on the toy box in the garage by the back door. I asked him what he was doing, he said he was so tired. Almost like he could get out of the car, but did not have enough energy to go into the house. But after a little game of Legos Star Wars he was right back to normal.

I am a little sad that he is starting kindergarten - he's definitely ready, it's just another indicator that he's growing up. But the joy of not having to worry about Day Care or babysitters makes it much easier to take. In a way, I've been waiting for this moment for 9 years!

No comments: