We went out to dinner tonight to celebrate. Initially, we were celebrating Maria's straight A report card. All A's and A+'s, and a hand written comment from the principal that said "Magnificent! Maria is a really amazing kid - you should be very proud of her." We try to praise her and remind her how her hard work pays off. So we let her pick out where to eat and she picked Jerry's House of Hunan. She loves Chinese - Sam not so much, but he ordered mini corn dogs and actually ate a few of them.
Anyway, here's some other reasons for celebration:
1. Ben WILL NOT have a lunch duty at school next year. We are moving from an 8 period day to a 7 period day, and since he teaches 6 different classes, he does not have room for lunch duty. He just found this out today - no other details on either of our schedules. Spring is in the air when teachers have to start worrying about their individual teaching duties for the next year. No teacher likes lunch duty, but Ben has had 5th graders this year and they are a really dysfunctional group - worse duty he's had in 15 years of teaching. This duty can sometimes cloud his entire day - in some ways I think it's put a black cloud over his entire year.
2. I saw the eye Dr. today and am seeing 20/20 in each eye - with both eyes I can read the 20/15 line. I knew about Tuesday that I could all of a sudden see much more clearly, so I wasn't surprised but so relieved that my eyes have healed well. I don't go back for a month.
3. I guess we were celebrating that Sam was not in the hospital with a concussion even though he had a fall today (on his head) that was worthy of a phone call to us in the middle of the school day. Apparently he was messing around on a bar stool at Ms. Jenny's when he was supposed to be sitting still eating his lunch, and fell a few seconds after Ms Jenny told him to stop. He fell backward off the stool and the stool fell on top of him and hit him in the head. She iced it and called us, went ahead and sent him to school, and warned them to keep an eye on it at school. By the time I saw him at 3:00 we couldn't even see a mark.
4. Tomorrow is the last Saturday morning we don't have to get up early and go freeze watching Sam play a soccer game - his games start next week and last until the end of May. So we're going to try to stay up late and sleep in tomorrow. But since Ben's watching the Indians at 10:00, I'll probably be asleep by 10:15!
No comments:
Post a Comment