Saturday, April 19, 2008

No More Little Girl

I took Maria shopping tonight for a few new spring/summer things. She doesn't need much, but everyone likes a few new things - especially when you're a kid/almost pre-teen, and the styles keep changing.

She wanted to go to Limited Too and I told her she could get two outfits. We all had a few stops to make so Ben took Sam shopping for his clothes. Before they left, Ben asked me what he needed. I said nothing really but summer socks right now, but I'm letting Maria get two new outfits. He told Sam "We're getting you a shirt and new socks." And off they went to Gap Kids.

Maria walked around the store, picked out what she liked, and charmed a salesgirl into helping her put together outfits. When I let the salesgirl know we were only getting two outfits, she respected that and helped Maria pick out a shirt to match her plaid capris pants she had picked out.

While we were looking, Maria was singing to the songs they played over the speakers, and telling me things like "This one is from iCarly," and "Ooh, I love this one - it's by the Naked Brothers Band." When she had her two outfits and we went to the try on area, I asked her if she wanted me to wait outside and she said "Yes." Meanwhile, Ben called. He and Sam had finished in 10 minutes and would be waiting for us at the playground. He spent 10 minutes and less than $30.

In the meantime, Maria has put on her first outfit - the top was too small. The top also had a little built in bra and Maria said it "felt more like dress-up clothes - you know, not as comfortable as at-home clothes." I didn't have the heart to tell her it's all downhill from here.

So the sales girl set her up with a new shirt in a bigger size, and this time Maria did ask for help getting dressed (that "bra" was giving her problems). Everything fit fine and we left. She chose two outfits that are cute but look older (one is a mini-dress with leggings). In a way I'm so sad that my Gymboree days of shopping for her on my own are over. But this was fun too.

We spent 30 minutes and much more than $30!

No comments: