Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Four Pairs of Slippers!

We emptied out both kids' rooms this afternoon so the new carpet can be installed tomorrow. Ben also tore up all the old carpet and padding. So the rooms are completely empty.

I had encouraged Maria to get rid of some things during this process. She threw away 4 containers of Play-Doh, but only because they were hard. That's it. She put some stuff in the basement, but didn't really get rid of anything.

When I was clearing out her closet, I found 4 pairs of slippers. All are within the correct size range, but I never see her wear any of them. Rita and I have tried to get her ones that she will like (per her requests), but she never actually wears them, except for the one "Pajama Day" at school each year.

So when I found these four pairs, I asked her why she needed 4 pairs when she doesn't wear any, and asked her which pairs we could get rid of today. Her answer - one pair. The other ones, she claims, she likes and will wear. Even though it almost summer, and she's never worn them much before.

I see now I have two choices. Either let her keep all the stuff I would like her to get rid of and deal with her room being full of crap until she goes to college. Or do what I used to when she was younger - wait until she has a sleepover and Grandma and Grandpa's and clean out her room myself.

No comments: