Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Sam's Version of Things

Yesterday we sent Sam to school with his purple bruised eye from his fall on Saturday night. The eye looks worse with each passing day, even though it is healing, the bruise spreads more and more each day - now his eye lid is purple too.

So even though everyone is the school district knows us, and I've been friends with his kindergarten teacher for over 10 years, I was still a little uneasy about sending him to school with a black eye. But I knew that Dolly had a new student coming, one in a wheelchair with a feeding tube, so she had enough to worry about. I decided not to e-mail her about his eye - that Sam could tell her what happened.

Monday after school I asked Sam if anyone had asked him about his eye.

Sam: Mrs. Wilson did.
Me: What did you tell her?
Pause
Sam: I just don't remember.
Me: Did you tell her you fell into the table?
Sam Fell into the table?
And then he laughed like that was the craziest thing he had ever heard.

So this morning I e-mailed Dolly to tell her what had really happened, since I was a little scared about Sam not remembering what he may have said. She said that Sam told her and the class that he was "wrestling with my Dad and I hit myself in the eye." Which is interesting, since Ben wasn't even home when it happened.

But at least we haven't heard from Children's Services. Yet.

No comments: