Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Random Updates

We've been busy the last several days getting ready for Christmas and traveling, so I thought I would just quickly post some things that have been going on.

This weekend we went to stay with Ben's parents in Dayton. The kids got to open a few gifts - Maria got her new backpack she's been wanting and Sam got his first real digital camera, and he loved to take lots of pictures and movies. We went to the Air Force Museum Sunday and he took pictures of his favorite planes. When we got home, Ben downloaded his pictures (almost 100) so that he would have room for more pictures. Sam didn't notice this until yesterday morning, when he was surprised that the pictures were gone from the camera. And he wasn't happy- "You mean I have to start over?" I think he understands where they went - he would just like them to all stay on the camera. Tried to explain it's impossible, but he's six, and stubborn, so we'll see.

We got Rita and Darrell a Wii for Christmas - thought we would surprise them but had to tell Rita at Thanksgiving when Darrell started talking about buying one for themselves. We got it hooked up while we were there and hope they are having fun with it.

The kids and I went to the dentist yesterday morning. Both kids are doing fine - still no cavities or other problems. The hygienist came out to the waiting room and told me that Sam does a really good job brushing - not something she sees with most kids. And he is cutting his 6 year molars, which I had suspected since he has had his hands in his mouth a lot lately. I think that's why he had three stomach viruses in November, but I could not get him to stop chewing on his hands!

We were supposed to go to the Zoo Lights last night - only chance we've had before Christmas. But we had to cancel with the temperature being 10 and wind chills in the negative digits. The kids were unhappy, so we took them to see The Tale of Despereaux and to dinner at California Pizza Kitchen instead.

Today we still have three kinds of cookies to make, plus get the house ready for the visit from the grandparents tomorrow. Maria helps a lot with the cookies - can do a lot of it herself. Sam has shown no interest so far. And I still have some wrapping to do - I've always had my wrapping done by now but this has been a very unusual December for us. Ben has a basketball game tonight, if it doesn't get cancelled - we're under a Winter Weather Advisory for freezing rain later.

No comments: