Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Snow Day Games

Today we have off due to the quarter inch of ice coating all roads around here. Bringing Maria to and from her Tuesday night activities last night was slippery, but we went slow and got home fine. And the timing of the day works for us - we are hosting our staff Christmas party tomorrow evening and should have 25-30 people here, so we can use the time to clean the house.

Anyway, Maria was bored so she made up a game. She made cards and wrote three things on each card. Then I was to guess what the three things have in common. Example:

Maria: Bacteria, Listeria, E.Coli
Me: Things that cause stomach aches?
Maria: Close, things that make you sick.
Maria: Beverly Cleary, j.K. Rowling...
Me: Authors
Maria: Yes

Then Sam wanted to play the game. So he made up his own cards (which were scribbles) and then asked me questions. But the answers were a little more difficult to pin down. Example:

Sam: What do you do with a hammer?
Me: Pound in nails.
Sam: No. You smash things with it.

Sam: I'm thinking of a drink. You pour it in a cup and drink it. What is it?
Me: Lemonade.
Sam: No.
Me: Orange Juice
Sam: No. One more chance.
Me: Milk
Sam: Yes! You got it! Milk. Here's the last one. How do you write your name in Japanese?
Me: I have no idea.
Sam: Well, that's the question.
Me: I guess I lose then.
Sam: Yes, you lose.

And on it goes. Right now he's playing another invented game with Ben. How long till I can break out the wine?

No comments: