Today's the second day of a three day weekend for us, and the high today was 17 degrees, with wind chills a lot lower. So we tried to stay in and come up with stuff to do here, in spite of the fact that Maria is so bored. We baked chocolate cookies from scratch, played some board games and Guitar Hero, and even did some work in the kids bedrooms. Ben re-arranged furniture in Sam's room, per his request (except the bed, since we just moved the whole room around in December), and Maria and I cleaned out the floor of her closet which was insanely crowded with all kinds of stuff she never plays with anymore. I still would love to get rid of a lot more in there, but am trying to respect her space and her need to be a bit of a pack rat. When we paint and re-do her room in the spring I'll have the opportunity to do a lot more.
But tonight the kids found a very unique way to entertain themselves. Out of the blue, Sam asked me if I still had had the pinata from his birthday in September that never got used. (Due to his concussion 2 days before his party, we decided that a bunch of 5 year old boys swinging large sticks around was just asking for trouble, and he never asked about it, so we thought he forgot all about it. I was hiding it in the back of my closet with the intention of throwing it out. Where is this memory of Sam's when he can't find his shoes, socks, or must-have toy that he can't sleep without?) So we got out the pinata and hung it in the basement. We had to fill it with leftover Christmas candy, but the kids were fine with that. They beat it long enough for the candy to trickle out and the floor to be covered with yellow confetti, but never broke it clear through. We were able to convince them that it would never break in half and they finally quit and helped pick up the floor.
Hopefully tomorrow they will be better at entertaining themselves, because I am exhausted and need to get some house cleaning done, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment