This morning Ben and I both had to attend graduation. And I didn't have to be there nearly as long as Ben, or work as hard, since I was just there as a faculty member and Ben had two performing groups to deal with. But it was still going to work on Saturday. And since we didn't have any graduation parties to attend this afternoon, we both wanted to take a nap.
We decided we would try napping at the same time, and if it didn't work we would take turns. The kids were going between playing outside for a while, then coming in and playing with their Pokeman cards. And they were really quiet. So we both assumed our favorite napping positions - Ben on the chair and ottoman in the front room and me on the couch in the same room. About 2:15 I put my book down and fell asleep. At 2:43 I hear Sam say, "Psst, Mommy, are you awake?"
Me: Mhmm...
Sam: Can you get my Pokemon cards out of the van?
Me: You can get them.
Sam: But I want you to do it.
Me: Too bad. If you want them, you can get them yourself.
So he goes to get them on his own, only the van is locked, so I have to get up and unlock it for him anyway. I decide to move to the bedroom with the door open, thinking next time Sam needs something he can get Ben - he won't bother me if I'm in the bedroom. Wrong. At 3:03 I hear "Psst, Mommy, are you awake?"
Me: Mhmm...
Sam: I need you to get my gloves.
Me: Its 70 degrees out. If you're cold, put on a coat.
Sam: But my HANDS are cold.
Me: Go get Daddy.
Sam: But I want YOU to get them.
So I get up to get in the closet and dig out gloves that are put away because its THE FIRST WEEKEND OF SUMMER! But I realize that arguing with him will just prolong the time I'm awake, so I try to get rid of him as soon as possible. He puts on the gloves and goes back outside. I go back to bed, after throwing a mean look to Ben, who is happily snoring away on his chair. Not that he saw it.
3:30
Sam: Psst, Mommy are you awake YET?
Me: No - I just got to sleep.
Sam: Its time to get up. I'm so boring. (He means "bored," but he always says "boring" instead.)
Me: Go get Daddy - he'll play.
Sam: No, I want you to play. I'm so boring!
As I ignore him he decides to crawl up from the foot of the bed to surprise me. I hear and feel him every step of the way, but he is so certain that he is sneaking up on me he is giggling with anticipation. And its so cute that I decide to give in and get up. After all, how long until he doesn't want me to ever play with him?
So I got up. And Sam spent a half hour quietly playing with his Pokemon cards and ignoring me.
No comments:
Post a Comment