Each year our district tries to do some nice things for us for Teacher Appreciation week. And this is only the second district I've taught in, but our community seems to go out of their way to do nice things for us. It's thoughtful, and shows us that at least the parents appreciate our efforts. This year, the district bought every staff member an insulated lunch bag. It's about average as far as our yearly gift goes. A nice cash bonus would be better, but that is not ever going to happen.
In addition, the parent groups provided home cooked lunches on two days this week. Very yummy, although not so good for my efforts with Weight Watchers. But worth every bite.
The difference this year was on the part of the students. They're the ones you see each day, the reason why you are there, and the reason that I enjoy my job, on most days anyway. And this year's student council went above and beyond. They provided breakfast for us on Thursday, and gave each teacher a $10 gift card somewhere (mine Barnes and Noble, Ben's was Starbucks.) Also, each member wrote a nice letter to a teacher of their choice. My letter came from a student I had two years ago as a freshman, and was meaningful to me since I haven't had him in two years yet he still remembers my class fondly. And this morning they brought us each a T-shirt like the one pictured above. They silk screened them with the help of the art teacher. And while I'm not sure I plan to wear it anywhere else, it was a really nice gesture, and did make us feel "loved."
So I guess I'm trying to say that I appreciate being appreciated.
And now I'd like summer vacation to start as soon as possible!
No comments:
Post a Comment