Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Preschool "Share Your Job" Visit

Yesterday I visited Sam's preschool class for "Share Your Job" month. I had to do some creative scheduling so that I could get over there for the morning class, since my lunch and plan period are both in the afternoon. But Ben covered my study hall and even though we ended up having a two hour fog delay, it all worked out. My principal is good about allowing me to get over to the elementary for things like this.

Anyway, first Sam introduced me. "This is my Mom." I didn't know he would be put on the spot so we hadn't prepared, but it was so cute.

Then I talked about safety during experiments, and I brought goggles for each of them to wear. Sam was so excited about the goggles beforehand, and I let him pass them out.


I did two experiments - one was simple baking soda and vinegar, but I added an indicator so it changed color too. They loved it - especially when it bubbled over the top of the flask. They are so easy to entertain!

I also did the flame tests which were a big hit when I went to Maria's classroom earlier this year. They think I am magic and can change fire. The problem with five year olds is that I really can't come up with much of an explanation that they would understand, so I didn't really try.

All in all, a fun visit for me and them (I think). Ben goes next week, so we should have pictures from that as well. A big thanks to Ms. Jan for taking the pictures!

No comments: