Friday, May 2, 2008

THE Talk

Maria came home from school today with a letter informing parents that the third grade girls were going to be getting THE talk in a couple of weeks. Apparently, for the last 15 years the gave the talk to both 4th grade boys and girls. But a handful of 4th grade girls were getting periods, and were unprepared, so last year the school decide that the girls should be taught about their periods in the third grade.

The letter said they would be covering menstruation, and products they would need to use, and other information about how a girl develops but they would not be discussing boy anatomy or conception. They will, however, answer all questions. So what if they have questions about conception? Oh well, not really my problem.

I told Maria that if she had any questions that she could ask me and I would not share with anyone or blog about it. She's a detail girl, so I think once it sinks in she may come up with some questions. Then again, if she takes after me, it could still be years until she has to worry about this - she may forget it by then!

Maria said they were setting it up like a Girls Tea Party. They will be serving little sandwiches, cookies, and punch. And the boys, they don't get their talk until the 4th grade still.

I'm reminded once again how fast Maria is growing up. In the last month, we went shopping for pre-teen clothes with a built in bra, she has a new room without the butterflies and flowers that I lovingly picked out when she was two, this evening she got a phone call from a friend so they could plan their demonstration at Sunday's 4-H meeting. And now THE talk. Time goes by too fast!

No comments: